7 Runners With Boston Qualifying Times Disqualified From The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon

The Shamrock Marathon Officials Acted Quickly To Remove Course Cutters From The Results

The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon was run in rainy conditions just under 2 weeks ago. I pulled the results the evening of the race and immediately commenced my review.

Total Finishers (Latest Results) : 1368

Total Boston Qualifiers: 148

Total Disqualified Boston Qualifiers: 7

Adjusted Total Boston Qualifiers: 141 (10.3%)

When I went to report these runners to the race officials, 4 were already disqualified. As I write this, 3 more were removed.  All of the runners with Boston qualifying times that I believe cheated have been removed from the race results.

There were another 4 runners that all recorded very fast initial splits, but I believe this may be a timing issue. They had similar timing patterns, and their overall times were consistent with their past results.

Disqualified Runners with Boston Qualifying Times

8th place overall – 3rd in age group – DQ’d

24th place overall – 1st in age group DQ’d

54h place overall – 1st in age group DQ’d

130th place overall – 1st in age group DQ’d

175th place overall – 2nd in age group DQ’d

176th place overall – 1st in age group DQ’d

One of the DQ’d runners had no photos. That runner was initially the 25th overall finisher, and 8th in his age group.

As you can see, some runners are posing with their unearned medals. However, nothing jumped out at me as far as any questionable prior results for this group. Overall the results were fairly clean. 3 of these runners were initially winners of their age groups.

All of these runners missed splits, and had much faster paces over the missed sections.

There seemed to be an issue with the 13.1 timing mat, a much larger percentage of runners didn’t register a time at this mat as compared to the other checkpoints. This wouldn’t be a likely place to cut the course, and none had significantly faster paces over this stretch of the course to raise suspicion.

The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon did a great job cleaning up the results, at least as far as the BQ runners go.

To support the blog, and my efforts to keep race results clean, please consider a small contribution. These contributions go towards purchasing race photos, compensating those that work to pull data, and general expenses associated with the site.

One Time Contribution

Categories
course cutting
11 Comments on this post.
  • Ray
    30 March 2017 at 10:19 am

Cutting your way to 8th place overall is a ballsy move… That guy looks like a pretty decent runner — what was the smoking gun with him? No pictures on course?

• grey
    30 March 2017 at 10:52 am

Memo to other race directors (coming from someone who has run primarily in World Marathon Major races): I might just run the Shamrock Marathon (or their half or other races) because of the action taken by its race director. You see if you take the sport seriously enough to effectively police and punish abusers it makes your race so much more attractive to the 99% of runners who dont cheat or bandit. Nice work, Shamrock!

• Big Wick
    30 March 2017 at 4:39 pm

Good job, Derek and RD. At one time I hoped to BQ, but at 62 I have a ways to get back any where near that. I took some time to checked some of the recent (Mar 25-26) marathons listed in MarathonGuide. Many of those races didn’t have splits. The Ann Arbor Marathon, though, had a 13.1 split. I looked at a bunch of results of those missing that single split, and searched for history. Many of those I looked at, don’t appear to have the ability to run the finish time listed. This included some age-group award recipients. You might want to check into those. (If you’d like more info, feel free to e-mail me direct.) I’ll be donating; keep up the good work.

• derek murphy
      30 March 2017 at 4:52 pm

Thanks! Ann Arbor isn’t typically on my list to review..but I will take a look.

• Albert Shank
      30 March 2017 at 8:05 pm

Big Wick, you’re right! 6 of the first 7 are highly implausible times, and the one missing is just hard to find because there are so many people with that name. Go get ’em Derek!

• Albert Shank
        30 March 2017 at 8:06 pm

I meant to say 6 of the first 7 that missed the mats.

• John
    31 March 2017 at 10:25 am

Nice work and you are right J&A racing is a first class organization and puts on a great race. I ran Shamrock this year and to describe the conditions as rainy was a gross understatement. Miles 10-19 were into a 30 mph wind and for a good part of the time it was directly into a wintry mix of sleet and snow. “Many” folks packed it in between miles 13-16 where you could easily cross the road and head back to the start/finish area. While I would personally not cross the finish line and take a finisher medal in this case, I can see where some might have. J&A also doesn’t award official age group placements on race day, so none of the folks mentioned would have walked away with an award that day. Anyway, great work, just so more details about a very tough day on the Marathon course.

• Simon
    1 April 2017 at 11:25 am

I should say that we should be cautious about throwing all these people under the bus. Conditions on race day were 25mph head winds and sleet. It’s one thing to cut the course when you’ve had enough and on such a day it could forgiven. At halfway the shamrock course takes you about two blocks from the finish line.

Of course it’s another thing to finish under such circumstances and use such a time to get entry to Boston. However there’s no evidence of this and none of those runners would have been aware of their age group placing when those photographs were taken.

On a more positive note: I’ve run Shamrock a lots of times. It’s a great race, with an awesome after party. Highly recommended.

• Denise Singleton
    1 April 2017 at 2:48 pm

I really appreciate all your hard work Derek. My question about the guy with the metal though is this.. He has the 1/2 marathon metal. Did he start on the full and decide to call it quits and just do the 1/2 without claiming he ran the full? If so, then this picture needs to go away. If he signed up for the full, ran the 1/2, got the 1/2 metal, and still claimed the full.. he is an arse.

• Ravi
      19 April 2017 at 11:57 pm

There are a few races that actually allow you to switch from full to half at the divergence point, but most require you to decide in advance and stick with your decision. Also, some race directors of the smaller races have been known to allow half finishers’ results to stand as official, even if they had signed up for the full. (They just switch their event on the results page.)

• Ravi
    19 April 2017 at 11:49 pm

Derek,

All your readers basically agree: you should absolutely publish their names. Don’t spare them the shame and humiliation of being exposed as cheaters. It doesn’t matter if their motivation is qualifying for Boston, or just having evidence of a marathon finish without actually running the full distance. They should be punished by having their names appear on this website.

In horrible weather such as the weather on the day of this race, I might pack it in early, but I would never have the nerve to pretend I had run a distance that I had not. I have no hope of ever qualifying for Boston, and I am OK with that.

Thanks for your hard work.

• RELATED BY