The Boston Marathon’s Retro Bandit?

Every year I see bib copying, bib forging, and I’ve seen runners using their previous year’s bib to get onto the course. This is partially possible due to the unchanged design of the Boston Marathon bib over the past few years.

In the age of photoshop and all the technology, one apparent bandit went decidedly retro:

2018 Boston Marathon Finisher Photo

It’s one thing to be able to slip onto the course without a bib or with a well done forgery. But this guy was wearing a bib from 1996! It turns out that the BAA did change the bib design over the past 22 years.

Not only did he run the race, but was given a medal and took the finisher photo to commemorate the occasion.

And, yes he did have plenty of photos on the course.

After I became aware of the runner, I decided to check prior years’ photos.

Here he is after the 2017 Marathon

And after 2016, taking advantage of the post race water bottle and mylar blanket. I would guess that he also accepted aid on the course.

I have reached out to The BAA – results are unavailable for the 1996 race.

Up Next

Within the next few days I will begin writing about bib copying, course cutting, and more. Keep sending in your tips. If you witnessed anything suspicious send an email to: derek@marathoninvestigation.com.

Please consider making a small contribution to help support MarathonInvestigation.com. Reader contributions are the main source of the funds that are needed to pay for servers, photos, data, etc.

One Time Contribution

Categories
2018 Boston Marathon
23 Comments on this post.
  • Daniele
    18 April 2018 at 9:53 am

Ok, this one guy beats them all. This is infuriating.

• Scott William
    18 April 2018 at 10:06 am

I don’t much care for his dead-eyed stare. And since we know he has no regard for the importance of rules, I can easily see how this look could be more at home in a BPD mugshot, instead of a “FINISHER” backdrop.

You’d think after the pressure cooker incident, they’d be more careful.

• Larissa
      21 April 2018 at 1:59 pm

After 6 Bostons since 2013, the volunteers checking bibs before handing over drop bag, checking bibs getting on the bus, before getting in to Athlete’s Village, before walking to your corral, before stepping in to your corral…. Our bibs are checked 5-6x! They are looking. This guy would be a huge red flag, especially given his old age and stepping in to a wave 1 red bib corral. They should give more coaching to the volunteers who are checkign and that if they see a bib that does not say the year of that race, they need to tell them to wait outside until they can verify w/ a race official.

• derek murphy
        22 April 2018 at 10:32 pm

…assuming he ran the whole course. It appears he hopped in late.Should have been caught before he got the medal or even at the post finish photo.

• NRB
    18 April 2018 at 10:16 am

WOW! This is insane to me. It shocks me that no staff member or volunteer pulled him off the course in the past 3 years. Changes definitely need to be made…thanks for finding this guy!

• Patrick
    18 April 2018 at 10:48 am

Dude I love this guy, that takes balls. Congrats hahahaha

• Pat
    18 April 2018 at 10:56 am

This is incredible. No shame and no apologies I’m sure. The entitlement is amazing. My guess; he’s connected to someone and therefore they look the other way. I can’ wait to hear what the BAA has to say – if anything! Please.

• Ray
    18 April 2018 at 11:24 am

I can’t even hate that.

• WKB
    18 April 2018 at 11:27 am

Unbelievable how this is possible!

Also check out the huge Citco billboard on the third photo from this year, exactly the same logo as on his Bib. What are the odds..

• Wendy
    18 April 2018 at 12:20 pm

Is this a joke?

• Pam
    18 April 2018 at 12:23 pm

What a slimeball. Hope he gets caught

• Big Wick
    18 April 2018 at 2:20 pm

With the advent of RFID tags embedded in bibs, I see no reason why medal distributors couldn’t scan finishers’ bibs before handing out that medal. Lost bib? With four solid pins, it should be more difficult to lose it than have the chip fail to register at pads. Not saying it can’t happen, but I’ve never seen an elite lose a bib. Handle those problems individually. In 2018, at one of the most monitored races in the world, all entrants, bib-wearers, finishers should be able to be electronically identified almost instantly. Then, I’d love to see and hear this guy’s tap-dance routine.

• T A
    18 April 2018 at 3:20 pm

I mean yeah it’s wrong, but you’ve got to give him credit that he’s not even vaguely hiding it, and they’re letting him on the course. I’m sure that bib doesn’t have a chip, he’s not getting an official time. I understand that he shouldn’t really be out there, but if you’re going to do it, this is the way to do it. He’s certainly gotten good use of his 1996 bib.

• joeconn4
      19 April 2018 at 2:12 pm

I can confirm that the 1996 Boston did not have B-Tags. I think that was before B-Tags were a thing. They used the old plastic disc shaped Champion Chips that year. First race I ever did with chips.

• Matthew Wilcox
    18 April 2018 at 4:53 pm

It’ll be interesting to see if he’s actually a bandit or whether he has a legitimate qualifier (or charity entry) and is merely running with his retro bib

• derek murphy
      18 April 2018 at 4:56 pm

I’ll admit that thought entered my mind, but I quickly dismissed it based on his finishing time and all the photos. From his 2016 photos I think I can determine the time of day that he finished and check against the results to see if he may have been registered. I am confident that he was not registered – but want to put that notion to bed one way or another.

• Maria Verbonac
    18 April 2018 at 8:04 pm

I hope you can somehow trace who he is and make him pay an entry fee for all the years he ran. What a piece of work!

• Jon
    19 April 2018 at 8:53 am

I wonder if he is even running the whole way or is he hopping in at like Mile 23?

I looked at a few of the photos from prior years and it appears like this is the case.

• derek murphy
      19 April 2018 at 11:43 am

My thought as well. I went through the exercise of confirming that he didn’t have a real bib as well as the 1996. He was truly a bandit–many arguing that he may have been carrying his ‘real bib’. Would explain more of why he wasn’t stopped – if he only ran a couple miles.

• PT
    19 April 2018 at 11:58 am

My $.02…

Sure he’s “stealing” services/resources from the BAA, but, he’s not taking a spot of another qualifier and he’s not (presumably) getting an official finish time.

He walked right past 5 to 10 different volunteers who must have said nothing about his very different bib.

Even during the rain on Monday they made you show your bib at least 3 or 4 times through security, and there are multiple points where they guide you to correct line, corral, etc., Checking your bib every time.

I guess maybe they don’t check as much in the blue (third I think?) Wave, but they are at least very strict in red and white waves, from my experience.

So, yeah, anybody who cheats to run Boston is bad, but at least this Yahoo isn’t taking somebody else’s spot.

• Pete
    20 April 2018 at 10:56 am

Strange that something like this happens and then the next day medals are for sale on ebay….

• Larissa
    21 April 2018 at 2:06 pm

After competing in 6 Bostons since 2013, my bib is checked 5-7x race morning.

Your bib is checked before handing over drop bag, before getting on the bus, before getting in to Athlete’s Village, before walking to your corral, before stepping in to your corral (this year, two separate corral volunteers checked me). Our bibs are checked 5-7x! The volunteers are looking.

HOW and why this guy got past all those different security checks w/ all different volunteers checking is baffling! This guy would be a huge red flag, especially given his old age and stepping in to a wave 1 red bib corral. They should give more coaching to the volunteers who are checking and that if they see a bib that does not say the year of that race, they need to tell them to wait outside until they can verify w/ a race official.

If I was a volunteer doing security check, I’d use that place of authority.

• derek murphy
      21 April 2018 at 2:44 pm

I don’t believe he ran the entire race. If he hopped in the last couple of miles he would have avoided those checks.

RELATED BY